Saturday 14 December 2019

Sleepless Nights · Elizabeth Hardwick

The cover of Sleepless Nights by Elizabeth Hardwick (Faber) · Books & Latte


I have fallen so hard for Elizabeth Hardwick since reading a collection of her essays released in 2017. I had already put Sleepless Nights (1979) on my to-read list when Faber & Faber released this new edition last summer, which they describe as 'a kaleidoscopic scrapbook of one woman’s memories; a collage of fiction and memoir, letters and essays, portraits and dreams, and one of the greatest New York novels of all time.'

Cover image: © Daido Moriyama Photo Foundation
Cover design: Faber

Simultaneously, Faber also released her essay collection Seduction and Betrayal (1974), which you will find on a reading list one day. Another book I have added to my wish list is the newly published, in the US, The Dolphin Letters, 1970-1979: Elizabeth Hardwick, Robert Lowell, and Their Circle, edited by Saskia Hamilton (FSG).

Sleepless Nights
By Elizabeth Hardwick
Paperback, 144 pages
ISBN: 9780571346998
Faber & Faber



2 comments:

  1. Intriguing! Never heard of Hardwick before but Sleepless Nights gets such good reviews. Which of her works do you recommend to start with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't read Sleepless Nights, only that essay collection I mentioned in my entry (on my № 16 reading list). I can highly recommend it if essays are your thing.

      Delete