Monday 31 March 2014

Coffee, letters and a delightful novel

Coffee & the cover of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows · Lisa Stefan


Do you ever experience moments when you are going to sleep and are already looking forward to waking up in the morning to enjoy good coffee? Anyone? For me it happens quite frequently but this weekend I was wondering if moments like that are more likely to occur when you are reading something really good. On Friday I entered a bookshop to buy stationery and this book that a dear friend in Iceland had told me about and praised. It's called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. Lately, I haven't really been reading any novels, only coffee table books and magazines, and it felt so good to return to novels with such a delightful one that I was hardly able to put down. It takes place in 1946 and is mainly about life on the island Guernsey during the German Occupation, described in letters written after the war.

There is a lot of letter writing in the book and I'm glad I bought stationery and airmail envelopes as well on Friday because on Saturday I just wanted to write letters in between reading. I posted them this morning.

Post offices can be extremely charming. The one in my neighbourhood is small and it will never win any design awards but all the customers seem to know the names of the clerks and the clerks greet you with: "How are you, my love?" or "Is everything all right, my love?" Tacky post office for sure, but the most loving I have ever entered.
Coffee, letters and a delightful novel · Lisa Stefan


No comments:

Post a Comment