Monday 3 July 2023

No One Prayed Over Their Graves · Khaled Khalifa

The cover of No One Prayed Over Their Graves by Khaled Khalifa (FSG)


This July, FSG is publishing an English translation of the novel No One Prayed Over Their Graves by the Syrian writer Khaled Khalifa. Its setting is a Syrian village near Aleppo destroyed by a flood that transforms the lives of two friends. The translator is Leri Price, who also translated Death Is Hard Work, a 2019 National Book Awards finalist.

One of my weaknesses is beautiful book covers, hence this blog category, and more than once have I been fooled. I have yet to learn my lesson and hardly ever will. Is there a better combination than a good book and a good cover? I have never read this one and cannot judge its content, but the photo caught my attention, as did the title design. I have never travelled to Syria or the Middle East, but there is something about the skylines of Middle Eastern cities, the mosques and the minarets that characterise them. This is likely the city of Aleppo, as it used to be. Khalifa was born in its vicinity but now lives in Damascus. His books are banned in his homeland. He was interviewed in The Guardian this weekend.

No One Prayed Over Their Graves
By Khaled Khalifa
Hardcover, 416 pages
ISBN: 9780374601935
FSG



No comments:

Post a Comment