Friday 15 May 2020

Virginia Woolf Editions


The cover of Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt publication) · Books & Latte


Mrs Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself. 

Do you recognise this first sentence of Mrs Dalloway, Virginia Woolf's classic novel? The book was first published on 14 May 1925 by Hogarth Press, which she and her husband Leonard Woolf set up. Her sister, artist Vanessa Bell, designed the dust jacket. My next blog post was supposed to be a reading journal entry but I couldn't get these six old paperback editions out of my head after spotting them on Instagram yesterday - Mrs Dalloway Day. Here we have the covers of Mrs Dalloway, Three Guineas, and Orlando, which I have added to my wish list. If only they were hardcovers.
The cover of Three Guineas by Virginia Woolf (Mariner Books) · Books & Latte
The cover of Orlando by Virginia Woolf (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt publication) · Books & Latte


Mrs Dalloway; Three Guineas; Orlando
By Virginia Woolf
Paperback, 224; 192; 352 pages
Mariner Books



3 comments:

  1. These look lovely! Regarding hardbacks, though, I have to say I have lately understood that I only like those where the cover print really is on the hard cover instead of a dust jacket. The worst are those with a sort of matt jacket that’s very unpleasant to the touch. For that reason, I chucked the jackets of Atwood’s “The Testaments” and Coddington’s “Grace” in the bin. :-D Also, as for “Mrs Dalloway”, I actually ended up buying a Vintage Classics paperback which is really beautiful and printed on very tactile-happy paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just curious about Mrs Dalloway: Did you buy the colourful 2016 edition? I bought a used copy of the one featured in this entry but it hasn't arrived, yet.

      Delete
  2. Yes, it's the 2016 one. Yours looks wonderful, too!

    ReplyDelete