Friday 26 July 2013

Seven Gothic Tales by Isak Dinesen

Seven Gothic Tales by Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen) · Lisa Stefan


I woke up this morning to thunders and lightning and the rain has been pouring down. It feels refreshing; I like the darkness accompanying it. Well, the sky is slowly brightening up so maybe today will be yet another sunny day.

Yesterday we celebrated our boy's birthday (the living room floor is a Playmo Knights battlefield) and I also went into the city to go to the library. I so enjoyed revisiting Karen Blixen's book Out of Africa earlier this month and I wanted to read more by Blixen and about her life. I was telling my parents on the phone the other day that I don't know why Blixen fascinated me from a young age. Maybe it was the Danish vibe that I felt in the home of my paternal grandparents, who were both part Danish.

I wanted to borrow - and did - Seven Gothic Tales, which Blixen wrote in English under the nom de plume Isak Dinesen after returning to Denmark from Kenya (Out of Africa came later). Then I got a few books that Sidney Pollack's film Out of Africa (1985) was based on: Shadows on the Grass, where Blixen continues with stories about her life in Kenya, Isak Dinesen: The Life of Karen Blixen by Judith Thurman, and Silence Will Speak by Errol Trzebinski. The last one is about the life of Denys Finch Hatton and his relationship with Blixen (played by Robert Redford in the film).

Maybe I should have warned you that this post was about books, but I guess the photo gave it away. Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment